Monday, June 29, 2009

Magnolia Playground

Playground slideImage via Wikipedia

Before moving too much into the future of my past I'd like to talk about the playground at Magnolia Elementary School. I remember it as being all covered with white sand, large oaks all around and fairly large. There was a "jungle gym" made all of 1/2 inch galvanized pipe where we climbed and hung by our legs, a set of swings that were quite tall and used heavy duty chains for support, see-saws and a sliding board. That sliding board was the main attraction. I would say that it was at least ten feet high and made of some really slick metal which took a polishing every day by little behinds. That slide was terrific! The first time I went down it - at the "suggestion" of my "friends" was breath taking. I literally knocked my breath out when I landed. I couldn't talk or move or breathe for what seemed forever. Then my breath started coming back and I got better. It was weeks at least before I tried it again.

In the middle of the yard, we could play football though I was seldom involved because I didn't have a clue how to play. I do have a clear memory of when Walt Latham broke his leg at recess. There was a huge pileup and an audible "snap". That was the first time I'd heard a human bone break.

One part of the playground was in a corner next to the school where we could go if we didn't want the teachers to see what we were up to. That's where I had my first kiss. WOW! I was impressed and of course embarrased and all jittery. It was a long time before something like that happened again. As I think about it now, there should be a stone marker there with a brass plate on it with the date and time.

The farm was my other playground and that's one that will take a posting of its own. Imagine a playground of almost 500 acres of fields and woods and added to that another couple of thousand acres that belonged to neighbors.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment