Monday, July 27, 2009

The Duck

A torture rack, photographed in the Tower of L...Image via Wikipedia


Another junior high school teacher who influenced my life quite a bit was Mrs. T____. Our code name for her was "Duck." Not because she would swing at you and cause you to duck, but because she waddled like a fat duck when she walked. She taught us all about first aid and then all about "social relations." Well, she taught us at least "some" of each. They didn't call it Sex Education in those days, but that's what it amounted to. That was one semester. The next semester I had a study hall in Mrs. Duck's classroom.

Duck didn't do "understanding." When she perceived something then that is what happened. I clearly remember sitting at my desk, calmly doing whatever it was that I was supposed to be doing and the kid behind me (one of the "country club" set named Barry Rayborn) kept sticking me with a pencil. I was already bleeding in several places and I had asked her to make him stop. She had ignored my request much to my embarrassment and to the delight of the class who were enjoying this particular torture. I once again settled down and was jabbed in the hand with a very sharp # 2 Eagle when I snapped. Rising from the desk I turned towards and jumped on Barry and began pummeling him with all my might. Somehow she got me off him and we all three headed to Mr. Mablebutt's office. I of course was wrong and no manner of explaining, demonstrating or telling had any effect at all on the old man.

Barry and I were put outside and told to run around the parking lot until he told us to stop. Barry was really mad and tried several times to knock me down but I managed to outdistance him. After several quarter mile laps, we began to tire and Ol' Marblebutt came out on the track with his paddle made of a rocker from an oaken chair and commenced to beat us until we weren't tired anymore. We did this every fifth period for a week.

I still bear the marks made by the pencil on my right forearm and my right palm. However, Barry never again tried terrorizing me. It was worth something. Later in life I met Mrs. T____ on the street in Greenwood and without realizing what I had done, addressed her as Mrs. Duck. It was embarrassing for me, but she apparently didn't care.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment