Saturday, May 30, 2009

More Yellow House Stuff

Other things that I remember about the Yellow House besides my family and our friends are the pictures, the wall paint and the bookcase. There were at least 4 pictures that I remember.  One of Jesus with a crook staff herding a bunch of sheep.  I've had nightmares about that picture all my life.  For some reason, the God that I kept confusing with either Santa Clause or Ghengis Khan, or a mixture of both, and that picture go together.

There were two baby pictures, one of "moi" which was adorable and one of Mac which captured his future physiological attributes as well as that little smile of his that always meant he was "up to something."  When Mac was in bed at the end, sometimes we would talk and I'd see that grin and I knew that he was there just for a minute.  The last picture that I remember is a painting of a Crested Cardinal sitting on a Magnolia branch - complete with Magnolia blossoms.  It was done by our neighbor, Mrs. Winifred Nance who lived in one of the P&N Section Houses located near the railroad stop.  Claudette - my sister-in-law still has that painting in her living room.  Mrs. Nance moved away when I was still very young and we never heard from her again.

As for the walls:  The kitchen was bright yellow, an airy place where many good memories lie.  Memories of Mamma, the tall kitchen stool that I sat on while she cooked and the white cabinets across from the sink.  The "breakfast room", the hall and the living room were painted what I now call "Morgue Green" and were quite gloomy if you paid attention to them.  But I have good memories about those places as well.  Especially the bookcase which contained all the things that I read in those days - the novels, the travelogues and the encyclopedias.  It was made of plywood and never finished or painted, but it was our entertainment center for my entire childhood.  We stored all the books and games there and really never missed having a television.

No comments:

Post a Comment